Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ever Wonder What It Feels Like To Be Dead?

I am sure that at some point in everyone’s life they wonder what it is like on the other side. Is it nice; is there pain or suffering; do the dead wish they could be alive again? My wife introduced me to a series that ran in the early 2000s called Dead Like Me. The show follows a group of people who have died. But rather than move on to the afterlife, they are charged with performing the job of a reaper. Now, they don’t kill people but rather are there to take their souls when they are about to die. On the surface, the series is an off-hand comedic drama. But the more I watch (I got the first couple of seasons on DVD as a gift), the more I like it. There is depth that I did not expect. The characters are genuine and have real emotion as they try to navigate the ‘real’ world as undead people while keeping themselves apart from it.

At times, I even relate to them. This may sound weird as I am alive and not a reaper. But I feel the emotions that they express as the move through ‘life’. I wish sometimes life was as simple as a television script. But then where would the adventure be? At least I have this in the meantime. The series ran for about 4 years. In early 2009, a movie version of the show was released straight to DVD with an option to restart the show. No word yet on if that is to happen. But I highly recommend taking a look and questioning again…what is the afterlife really like?

No comments: