Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Adult Decisions in Little Minds

I was recently asked by my little girl what ‘pregnant’ was. I know that she knew the answer, but think that she was testing me. I told her the simplest answer I could think of, ‘it’s when you are going to have a baby’. This was followed by a barrage of questions like ‘where does the baby come out’, ‘is it hard to have a baby’, and ‘does it hurt’. I tried to do my best to satisfy her thirst for information while still maintaining the conversation on an upbeat note. But she is too smart for that. The next thing that came from her mouth was ‘I don’t want to ever have a baby’. The next few minutes were spent trying to reassure her that her decision is fine, but not to worry as she won’t have to make that choice for many, many years.

It’s funny how kids look at things; just as they are. From the little information they have on things, they formulate an opinion on whether or not they like it. But their opinions tend to be more pure than that of adults. They don’t have the life baggage to influence their decisions; they call it like it is. Having a baby involves growing something inside your tummy that eventually comes out of your privates with a lot of pain. Personally, I don’t blame her.

No comments: