Thursday, September 10, 2009

Get your plaid and Dr. Martens on!

Why did popular Ska music have to come and leave so fast? It almost seems as if the whole genre experienced a one-hit-wonder like rise to fame. Don’t get me wrong, I know that those bands were out there long before becoming ‘radio worthy’ and continue making music today. But most people don’t get exposed to music that either isn’t on the radio or in iTunes top lists. This style of music is the perfect fusion of reggae beats with rock/punk guitar riffs and vocals.

I still remember hearing songs from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Aquabats, Stretch, and Reel Big Fish for the first time. The music was just fun. The beats were addictive in a Mocha Frappuccino sort of way; and you have to love a band that can successfully incorporate horns into their compositions. So, if you are looking for a feel good just plain fun pick-me-up, have a listen to a couple of my favorites below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog & found it interesting reading. Couldn't agree more. I love a lot of different genres of music, but SKA is generally upbeat, happy music. Love it! There seems to be a resurgence with the younger generation. (Streetlight Manifesto, Mustard Plug, Save Ferris & many more). Went to an all day SKA "circus" a year or so ago. 3/4 of the crowd were teens, and the rest were much older SKA fans. Love that my teenage daughter and I can relate to each other through SKA, and music in general.