Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Life’s simple: kill or be killed!"

I like movies, but who doesn’t. I am always a sucker for a good comedy or action film. I’ve even been known to enjoy a few chick flicks with my awesome wife. We’ve seen several of the new movies that came out over the summer. Some of which I won’t mention for the benefit of my juvenile and senior readers. But one that I do wish to mention is Babylon A.D. I don’t consider myself a huge Vin Diesel fan, but I have enjoyed his movies.

How can you go wrong with a movie about fast cars and illegal activities? You can’t. In another life I may have been a sci-fi fanatic, but I keep it to a closet secret in this one. Anyhow, the Riddick films (Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick) were great and I look forward to the next installment that is in the pre-production stages. But I held back from buying the action figures. ‘Cause then I would have to share them with my kids. Anyway, Vin Diesel is one of those burly tough guys that you like to see move and kick ass; like Schwarzenegger in his early days. Okay, so you get that I like Vin and a good selection of his movies. But this one was different.

The movie was underwhelming, to put it best. The action sequences weren’t what they could be and the plot was muddled with holes. The movie is based on a French novel Babylon Babies by Maurice Georges Dantec. The story line is heavy in doomsday politics. Here’s the quick breakdown. The world has come to near anarchy in the not so distant future. Guns and force rule. Naturally, Vin Diesel plays Hugo Cornelius Toorop (Toorop), a mercenary. In an attempt to take control of society, the leaders of a religious cult have created a genetically altered girl that is near perfect and has powers/abilities that are on the level of artificial intelligence. Problem: The girl has been raised in a remote convent in Asia to avoid her discover until the time was right. Solution: Hire a kick-ass mercenary who can transport her safely across international lines to New York City. Oh and did I mention that Toorop is considered a terrorist by the U.S. government and thusly not allowed to cross the border? So now you have what the premise is and you can guess the rest. Anyway, it wasn’t worth seeing in the theater but maybe at Redbox if you are a Vin fan.

But aside from the shortcomings of the film, it had a good soundtrack. Nearly all the music was performed by a band by the name of Achozen. If you have my page on mute, take it off and have a listen. This song, Dueces, is the opening song in the film.

No comments: