Friday, October 5, 2007

Great music

Have you ever been to a concert, or heard a song on the radio and said, "I wish that was cool again"? If you are like me, it happens on a regular basis. Recently, I went to the Smashing Pumpkins concert in Phoenix, AZ. It was awesome. Billy Corgan hasn't lost any of the energy he exuded as a young punk. I still couldn't believe that he's 40! But then again, I haven't been in high school for 11 years. Ahhh, reflection. Anyhow, the concert kind of awoke those feelings of invincibleness that we all have when we are young. You know, you tend to have more thoughts of 'Hey, I can do that' or 'Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but it's what I want to do.' The other thing that the concert instigated was my thoughts to other bands that I near worshiped in high school. Most of them have gone by the wayside, no longer recording or performing. There are the resolute few, that continue to perform old hits no matter how small the venue. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I found out that the Pumpkins had at least somewhat come back together. My wife and I attended their second to last show back in 2000. It was cool. Of course, there is something about a 6' 3" bald guy yelling into a microphone at a crowd of devoted listeners that is odd. I digress. The other bands from the 90s that still record usually stink. The band is off drugs and have come to inner peace. It was the drugs and constant turmoil that made them great. Case in point, Stone Temple Pilots. Then there are those that have expired due to various causes. Another example, Midnight Oil. I don't mean to ramble, but with all the crap on the radio today how can one not reflect upon a better musical era. The only thing that gives me comfort is that 'Pop' finally passed and the likes of Christina, Britney, and all the boy bands are behind us.

1 comment:

Wade said...

My wife and I went to a concert recently. Matchbox 20. I think we were among the oldest there, but at least there were enough "almost 30" couples to help me not feel too out of place. Matchbox 20 was pretty good, and they have some new music that is okay too. I am starting to think I am getting too old for the concert scene. I can name at least one person who needs to get out of the concert scene. Alanis Morissette. She opened for Matchbox 20, and when she came on stage, I could not believe what I was seeing. It is not nice to make light of someone that has weight issues, but I think it is justified when they go on stage in front of over 10,000 people with tight black leather pants on. She was crazy, her dancing was crazy, it sounded terrible, but I think I have to agree with Steven, the new music is not as good as the original.